1/8 Monogram Jaguar E Type 'Goodwood Coupe'
I built 50% of this kit over 15 years ago. Eventually, the box was too large to ignore. This is what I always wanted to do to my real E Type.
This kits 'reputation' didn't disappoint: I see it as a vintage toy kit that always wanted to be a 'presentable' scale model. Despite the many challenges, there are a few master modelers who do museum grade builds of this kit. They represent my inspiration for this attempt.
Examples of the challenges I encountered:
- The large front windscreen has a rectangular cut out at top center? Perhaps to fit the windscreen with the rear view mirror already fitted? The right angles of this cut out are at the greatest tension point of this part...crazing and usually causes cracking of the windscreen. I had just finished the model and turned to my desk when I heard a cracking sound like fresh ice cubes in water.... just sitting there the windscreen was self destructing? Found a replacement and reduced fitted tension as far as possible.
- The 'fit' and attachment points of most of the parts is 'questionable'..The quarter windows simply fell thru the body during test fit? The entire gap was so wide that new windows were cut from clear stock.
- The headlight covers (without the surround bezels by choice), doors and bonnet fit and panel gaps took many hours to optimize.
- The engine subframe assembly presented problems in strength and fit. The weight of the large forward hinged bonnet depends on this structures integrity. I used over 30 cut to length. brass rod 'pin's to add strength.
- The opening doors feature was abandoned. Imho, I have observed that when I'm problem solving yet additional efforts seem to make no progress?, It's time for a different approach. The bonnet and doors are set in closed fitted position with 1/16 dia" Neo Magnets.
In addition to the GTO style body cues, I re profiled the nose, added RC car Brembo Front Brakes, Minilte Wheels, Tire Valves, and Five Point Belts. I widened the tires by sectioning tires from two kits (and fabricating spacers to retain tires in rims) then scratch built:
- the Bonnet Inner Panels
- Intake Manifold
- Rear Suspension Brake Lines
- Diff Cooler
- Coil Springs
- Triple Webers
- Intake Trumpets
- Spark Plug Wires
- Wired Distributor
- Aluminum Exhaust Headers
- Brake Booster, Throttle Linkage
- Bonnet Intakes
- Optima Battery
- added Resin Spark Plugs and Fluorescent styrene rods for Headlight Bulbs
As a 'Track Day' weekend racer, I deleted the bumpers, front turn signals, wipers, added a low pressure exhaust and cut pressure vents in the rear window. The paint is Tamiya TS60 Pearl Green over Mica Silver undercoat with Mr. Hobby Clear. The primary adhesive that worked reliably on this ancient plastic was E6000 along with many brass pins and magnets to add strength.